At GPS-it we know farms.
Because we’ve been mapping them, as well as farming them, for over 20 years.
GPS-it are New Zealand's farm mapping experts. We've been providing high-quality mapping solutions to customers throughout New Zealand since 1998. We use the latest drone (UAV) and aerial mapping technology to produce the most highly accurate farm maps available.
Why you need a GPS-it aerial map
Our field team are all farmers or come from a farming background and that’s why we know the key to farm mapping is accuracy. Greater precision means better decisions and an accurate farm map is the basis of your entire operation.
Your map adds value across the whole business, from planning to recording, decision support, compliance, health and safety, bench-marking and more.
We fly each farm individually to capture high definition imagery with an accuracy of 30cm horizontal and 60cm vertical to produce your farm map. We don't use satellite images because if the effective area of your dairy farm is out by just 10%, on a 200-hectare dairy farm with a herd of 120 it could cost you $144 per day.
To feed livestock you need to know the exact land areas you’re working with. It’s pretty difficult to calculate how much pasture you have when you’re guessing farm areas and paddock sizes. If your calculations are based on incorrect information, it’ll be costing you money - every time.
A farm map will help you improve your farm’s productivity and underpinning the decisions, made in the field, every day. So, if you want to make sure you’re getting the very best out of your land call New Zealand's farm mapping experts today on 0800 247 748.
A GPS-it farm map will help you:
- accurately measure crop planning and budgeting
- understand effective area
- work out your costs vs income per hectare
- record and track fertiliser applications
- allocate stock rates and plan and record movement
- estimating fencing costs and plan paddock rotation
- comply with health and safety regulations and identify hazards
- feed budgeting
- give an accurate record for selling or purchasing land
- assist with day-to-day farm management and help staff and contractors understand farm layout.
What’s captured on your map
Different things are important to different farmers so we customise our maps to fit your needs. A GPS-it farm map provides a highly accurate view of your entire property, capturing your land features with GPS points, as well as precise land size and areas.
Our standard map features are:
- effective and non-effective areas
- paddock sizes and bush blocks
- buildings, races and troughs
- farm entries and exits
- fenced waterways and drains
Additional features we can include are:
- hazards for health and safety plans
- contour lines
- wells and bore locations
- overhead power lines (important for low flying top dressing planes)
- all types of tracks including vehicle and animal
- underground water pipes (this information needs to be provided to us)
- electric fence switches
- farm planning charts, such as contractor sign in and out, grazing and herd planners and task lists to whiteboards.
Once you’ve decided to go ahead with your farm map, rest assured - your job is in the hands of New Zealand’s farm mapping experts.
We’ll schedule your job with the pilot and our technical staff will be on board the plane to capture a highly accurate imagery with a specialised camera. Our survey team will take ground control points to make sure the map is GPS referenced.
When we have the images
The data is brought back to the office for processing. Then our GIS technicians take over and add the main features, including paddock sizes and the breakdown of your effective area and non-effective areas.
Making sure you are happy
Once your draft map is ready we’ll ask for your feedback, including any changes or additions and paddock names. When you’re happy we’ll send you a copy of the map and any other items you’ve ordered like whiteboards and map pads.
Sit back and enjoy your map
Knowing that you’re managing your farm effectively - because it’s right in front of you.
We have a range of products available in various sizes that we can print your map onto, including:
- 100 sheet tear-off map pads
- water and tear resistant synthetic prints
Perfect for the farm dairy or the office wall!